The CCW Channel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kel-Tec P32 Owners Beware!

2 posters

Go down

Kel-Tec P32 Owners Beware! Empty Kel-Tec P32 Owners Beware!

Post  Hannibal Lecter Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:52 am

My Dear Friends,

I recently purchased a Kel-Tec P32 pistol to replace one that I had to sell off during an unfortunate bout with unemployment. During a bit of research on the factory modifications to the gun in recent years I encountered a bit of troubling data.

It came to my attention that the .32 ACP round chambered by the Kel-Tec P32 pistol can encounter a condition referred to as "rim-lock" with certain ammunitions sporting an overall length shorter than the "normal" factory specs for FMJ.

For an explanation:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/rimlock.htm

Basically any semi-rimmed case can create this condition under the right circumstances.

(Note to Kel-Tec P3AT owners - you do not have this concern, as the .380 ACP is rimless.)

Suffice it to say that IF rim-lock occurs your lovely little handgun is completely immobilized until you replace the magazine with a fresh one - this isn't the type of stoppage you can easily clear with ample time under the best of conditions, much less under dire circumstances.

Kel-Tec is aware of the issue, but at the same time it is really a non-issue in so far as the handgun itself is concerned. Pretty much all commercial FMJ ammunition should never create this condition, but for those of us determined to carry lighter, faster hollowpoint bullets in our defensive handguns we very much face this as an issue.

At least at one time Kel-Tec made available a kit with a modified follower and spring base along with a flexible plastic spacer that would eliminate the problem. It is, however, completely possible to create your own solution in about five minutes with nothing more than a few hand tools and a 1/16" wire (a 2" long heavy paper clip will work perfectly, BTW).

Diagrams and instructions:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/flyerwire.htm

Both of my carry magazines have been modified in this fashion and it took almost no time at all (<10 minutes for the pair). I used a thin file rather than a drill bit to create the groove, but the end result is essentially the same. There is the consideration that the magazine will no longer accept standard-length cartridges with the Flyer Wire modification in place, but the wire can obviously be removed in a few seconds' time and replaced almost as easily if needs be.

You of course also have the option of having a magazine or two relegated strictly for range use, kept separate from your carry magazines, which makes a bit more sense.

Consider this a public service announcement to keep my concealed-carrying brothers and sisters safe.

--------
Hannibal
Hannibal Lecter
Hannibal Lecter

Back to top Go down

Kel-Tec P32 Owners Beware! Empty Re: Kel-Tec P32 Owners Beware!

Post  Crazy K38 Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Great post I found it informative and I am glad you brought this to the keltec crowds attention
Crazy K38
Crazy K38
Admin

https://theccwchannel.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum